Friday, May 18, 2012

Naked vs. Naked 2, A review and comparison


Naked 2 on top and Naked on bottom

Naked 2 on top and Naked on bottom
As a graduation gift to myself, I bought myself the Naked 2 palette. I had been wanting this for a while, but because it was $50, I wanted  to save it for a special occasion. I will now review and compare the palettes!

So first off, the packaging. The original Naked palette is in a velour cardboard palette with magnets that secure it. It has a small mirror on the inside. Naked 2 comes in a hard case that closes with a clasp. It has a much bigger mirror inside. In terms of packaging, Naked 2 is clearly superior.

Naked and Naked 2 both come with brushes and extras. Naked comes with an eye shadow brush and a mini Urban Decay primer potion. I absolutely love the brush that comes with the Naked palette. It is my brush of choice every day when I apply my eye make-up, no matter what shadows I am using. The primer potion is also really good. A lot of people were happy that the Naked 2 palette doesn't include a primer potion as Urban Decay usually includes it in their other palettes. I do think that it is unfortunate that they don't include it because for people who are new to the brand and who decide to buy Naked 2, they won't be getting the primer potion. I recommend the primer potion highly! Naked 2 comes with a dual sided brush and a mini lip junkie in Naked. The shadow brush on the dual sided brush is smaller than the shadow brush in the original Naked palette. I don't like it as much as the original brush because of this, but it is still a very high quality brush. One thing I do enjoy about the dual sided brush is the crease brush. It is a nice brush, although I have crease brushes from Sigma that I prefer. I like that they include a crease brush, if I take this palette with me on a trip I won't have to bring two separate brushes! The lipgloss isn't my favorite. When it comes to lip plumpers I prefer Buxom plumpers. The color also kind of washes my face out. It's so neutral that I probably wouldn't use it in conjunction with either Naked palette as I feel it looks best with a bright eye. I would have to say when it comes to the additional items in the palettes, the original Naked wins.

Now on to the colors. Between the two palettes, there is one color that is the same and that is Half Baked. One interesting fact about Naked 2 is that the shadows were formulated with Urban Decay's new formula. I couldn't really tell the difference between the two when I swatched both versions of Half Baked. When it comes to the two palettes, Naked has more warm shades and Naked 2 seems to venture more into cool shades, especially more towards the right side of the palette. I love that Naked 2 includes two silver colors. One thing that I would change about Naked 2 if I could would be to arrange the colors from light to dark like they did (more or less) in the original Naked palette. Naked contains two matte colors, both brown crease colors. Naked 2 contains three matte colors, a highlight color, a crease color, and a black. I enjoy the selection of mattes in Naked 2 more than the ones in Naked.

All together I do like both palettes. I believe that both palettes stand alone but can also easily be used in conjunction with each other. I think the original Naked is perfect for a beginner. It was one of the first palettes that I ever purchased. I would say that Naked is what really enthused me about make-up. I think Naked 2 is great for someone with more experience. I love both of the palettes, but it is not necessary to own both.

Please leave questions and comments and subscribe!

17 comments:

  1. i loved coming to your blog, from now on i will be always coming back here to visit. http://inbeautystyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are always welcome here! Let me know if you would like to see anything!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info into the palettes - they both look beautiful! Which one do you think suits olive skin, dark hair and hazel/ brown eyes more?? Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the original Naked would look wonderful on you. I have hazel eyes, dark hair, and very pale skin and it still looks good on me, but with your olive skin I think the colors in the original Naked will be more suited to you. :)

      Delete
  3. Great thank you- funny enough I kind of always steered towards the original but you have helped made my mind up def now! Ohhhhh can't wait! Thanks again for wonderful blog x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review of these two, I don't own either one. It it has been on my wish list for a while!

    New follower:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think owning one of them is essential. Like a desert island product.

      Delete
  5. Very excited- just ordered naked 1 - on your advice . Hurry up post! Will let you know how I find it x Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, really helped make my mind up ! I'm getting the naked 2 . anw check out my blog please ! http://allbeautytips1.blogspot.com/
    Trying to start off lol just got it today , any tips to get followers ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep posting and they will come! :) Let me know how you like Naked 2!

      Delete
  7. Hi! I love ur blog! I can't decide which one to get. I have very light skin, blue eyes, and dark brown hair. Which do u think would be better? I am also planning on getting one for my sister in law , she has darker skin than me, dark hair, and brown eyes, and is a newbie with makeup. I am a makeup junkie. Can u help me decide please? Also do u do fragrance reviews? I want a new perfume and have tested so many, and can't find one that I love. Any suggestions? I'm 27, like sweet smells, vanilla, and something young. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you! So I would probably suggest that you get naked 1 for both of you although naked 2 has a lot of colors that would look nice on your skin tone. I just prefer naked 1 because its easy for beginners to learn on. There are tons of YouTube tutorials that show looks and stuff like that so you can always discover something different to do with it. I recently brought naked 2 away with me for a week and just found myself disappointed with the color selection in comparison. If I could only use one palette for the rest of my life it would be naked 1!

      Now as for the perfume thing, I happen to like the exact kind of fragrance you described. My favorite perfume is Paris Amour by Bath and Body works. I also love Wonderstruck by Taylor swift, both Katy Perry perfumes (meow and purr), and dot by Marc Jacobs. I would suggest that you buy rollerballs to start out with. Scents change throughout the day and tend to smell different on different people. Roller balls give you a ton of product (more than you would expect) and are portable and a lot cheaper. If you go to perfumania or tj maxx or Marshall's you can get pretty good deals on rollerballs. That way you aren't making a firm commitment to a scent and if you use it all up you can then go buy the full size!

      I hope this helps, let me know!

      Delete
  8. Hi!
    I am looking into getting myself a naked palette, and I just cannot decide which one to get! I love the design of the 2nd, but am not sure if the colors will suit me.
    I have medium brown hair, darkish brown eyes, and an olivey skin tone. What do I do?! Haha, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. For an asian like me, which is better naked2 or naked?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your blog, its very helpful. I'm wondering which palette I should get, I'm very pale skin with dark hair and green eyes? I was also wondering what brushes should I get? Any essential make up brushes? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete